Car tax

Tax your car:

Click here to tax your vehicle online.

Before beginning the process of taxing your vehicle online you will need a reference number, this can be obtained from either a reminder letter (V11), vehicle log book (V5C) or a green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2).

If you don’t want to or can’t do it online, you can either apply by;

  • Calling the DVLA on: 0300 123 4321 (charges apply), or

  • Go to the Post Office. If you go to the Post Office you need to take Direct Debit account details or other payment means, your vehicle log book or the green ‘new keeper’s details slip, you may also need your MOT test certificate. For more details, click here.

If you’re keeping your vehicle in a garage and it’s off-road, then you don’t need to tax it, but you do need to register it as off-road.

To register your car as SORN (off the road) head to the Government website here.

P.s You’ll get a refund on the remaining months you had taxed it for!

Vehicles that don’t have to pay tax on:

  • Vehicles used by a disabled person (you can claim disability exemption)
  • Cars used to transport disabled people (passenger vehicles)
  • Mobility scooters, powered wheelchairs and invalid carriages
  • Classic cars/historic vehicles (made before 1 January 1977)
  • Electric cars
  • Mowing machines (grass cutters)
  • Steam-powered vehicle
  • Vehicles used just for agriculture, horticulture and forestry (tractors, agricultural engines and light agricultural vehicles used off-road, or vehicles that travel a very short distance on the road between sites owned by the same person i.e farmland)

For more information on vehicles that are exempt from paying car tax head to the Government website here.

Tax rules

The new rules apply only to cars that were first registered as new after 1 April 2017.

  • The first year you buy the car, the tax is based on the amount of CO2 (carbon dioxide) your car produces
  • The second-year you will pay a standard rate of either £130 to £140 per year, and so on
  • Cars that cost over £40,000 will have to pay an additional £310 per year for five years, on top of their standard rate
  • Only zero-emission cars (like electric vehicles) are exempt from car tax
  • Hybrid owners or ‘alternative fuel’ cars pay £10 less than petrol and diesel owners in the first year. They then pay £130 every year after

Information sourced from Which, head to their website for a more in-depth understanding.