You want your personal belongings – from your fav leather shoes to your trusty stead the dishwasher – to live long and happy lives, here is just a selection of bullets points to note in order to keep them in as best condition as possible!
By Tara Button, author and founder of website BuyMeOnce.com
- Protect furniture with a non-toxic spray and wipe spills immediately
- Condition leather furniture, bags and shoes monthly
- Plump and turn pillows and mattresses and always use a decent mattress protector
- Polish wooden furniture every three to six months
- Sunlight can degrade rubber, plastic and some fabrics, so keep these away from windows or use blinds and shutters
- Empty filters on appliances and descale regularly depending on how hard your water is. Scale is one of the top killers of appliances
- Run cleaning cycles in dishwashers and washing machines every few months (still don’t know how to do your washing? No worries, click here)
- Every six months clean the fridge and freezer cooling coils and put Vaseline on the seals to prevent cracking
- Wash by hand anything precious
- Empty the dishwasher as soon as possible to avoid rust
- Oil wooden boards and counters every three months
- Get knives sharpened as they become dull (click for the best ones to have in your kitchen!)
For guides on how to run a household click here.