What is a tenancy agreement?
A tenancy agreement is a contract between the landlord and tenant. The contract sets out the legal terms and conditions of the tenancy.
For a more detailed description head to the Government website.
Types of tenancy agreements…
Assured short-hold tenancy agreement (AST) is the most common in the UK but there are no laws to suggest landlords cannot write their own agreements (contracts), but it’s always less risky to find a government-approved short-hold agreement.
Other tenancies include:
- excluded tenancies or licenses
- assured tenancies
- regulated tenancies
Things to check on your short-hold tenancy agreement:
- Start and end date
- Deposit amount and how it’s
- Conditions under which you’d forfeit the deposit
- Notice period
- Who is liable for utility bills
- Who you’re paying the rent too i.e. letting agent or direct to the landlord
For a step-by-step guide on how to rent a property, click here.