Who to talk to about mental health

Talking to anyone about your mental health can be difficult, but if you feel that something isn’t right but you can’t put your finger on why, it’s recommended you talk to someone, whether that be a friend, your GP or an external body – they are all there to help you.

Talk to your GP

If you have a good relationship with your doctor, it might be helpful to talk to them, and they then may be able to refer you to a specialist service if they feel that would help. If you’re not comfortable talking to your doctor you can request to speak to another doctor, or find a new practise.

Your GP can ask you questions to understand what you’re going through, they can offer you medications if it’s appropriate and they can also recommend simple lifestyle changes that may help. If none of the above, they can refer you to a specialist if they think that would be more helpful.

The Samaritans:

For any emotional support that is completely confidential you may need, The Samaritans are open 24hrs a day on 116 123, and what’s more, it’s free to call, or if you’d rather email you can do so at: jo@samaritans.org.uk


Rethink Mental Illness provides practical advice on therapy, medication, money issues, police, and your rights under the Mental Health Act among many things. If you want to speak to someone, call 0300 5000 927 (calls are charged at your local rate), the lines are open from 10am-2pm Monday to Friday.


Their infoline offers lots of advice from talking through all the mental health problems there are, to where to get help and also alternative treatments. Call them on 0300 123 3393 (UK landline calls are charged at local rates, and charges from mobile phones will vary considerably) or email info@mind.org.uk

If you need legal advice you can call 0300 466 6463 (UK landline calls are charged at local rates, and charges from mobile phones will vary considerably) or email legal@mind.org.uk

Tell someone you trust

It might help to speak to a friend that you can trust, or family members or your partner about your problems and/or what you’re experiencing.

Student services

If you’re in education, most higher education institutions have a student wellbeing centre which offers students support.

Further information can be found here.

For more information on mental health, general health and wellbeing click here for our full guide.

Remember that you aren’t alone, and don’t be afraid to ask questions or help, seeking help is the first step towards getting and staying well.