Our ‘Interview With’ series speaks to people in varying careers to ask about their role and how they got there, to inspire others who may be at the stage of picking a career or switching up their current one.
This week, we interviewed a sales engineer within the IT industry, which, whilst being a competitive industry, you can get into without necessarily having a degree…
WHAT IS YOUR JOB TITLE?
Software sales engineer
- HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING SINCE LEAVING FULL-TIME EDUCATION?
- WHAT ARE YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR IN YOUR ROLE?
Selling software to large corporate customers
- WHAT DOES A TYPICAL WORKDAY LOOK LIKE?
A couple of hours on the phone to clients, normally at least an hour presenting over a Zoom or Skype session, an hour or two preparing for presentations and maybe an hour of internal meetings and report writing
- WHAT’S THE BEST PART OF YOUR JOB?
Closing a deal with a new customer!
- WHAT WOULD YOU TELL SOMEONE LOOKING TO GET INTO YOUR INDUSTRY?
The IT industry is fairly competitive so I’d say be persistent and always curious about technology
- WHAT ARE THE MAIN QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED FOR YOUR ROLE/INDUSTRY?
Normally a technical diploma or degree, but it’s not always essential as you can learn the technology, and it’s always changing so you keep on learning
In my team there qualifications are varied; some have degrees in geography and land management, some with business, some don’t have a university degree but have experience on the job
- WHO WAS YOUR ROLE MODEL GROWING UP?
Steve Jobs for innovation, Bill Gates for money
- IF YOU COULD GIVE YOUR YOUNGER SELF ANY ADVICE, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Sales and business are not honoured professions, but nothing happens without them
PAY RANGE IN £ (TOTAL PACKAGE):
A = up to 20k
B = 21-30k
C = 31-50k
D = 50-70k
E = 70k + <<<<<